Razor Burn: Avoiding Skin Irritation When Shaving

Razor burn is a skin irritation that can occur when you shave with a razor. It usually disappears after several hours but might remain for several days depending on how sensitive your skin is and can reoccur if you keep irritating your skin with repeated shaving.

I've found that when shaving with a razor - or even with my electric shaver - my skin thanks me when I take a few precautions before starting to shave.

\"skin Irritation\"

Here is how I minimize razor burn:

    1. I shave after having a shower so that my skin gets moist from the shower steam before feeling the effects of the razor. 2. I wait about 20 minutes after getting up before I shave to allow body fluids that have welled in my face during the night to disperse. Also, I shave after exercising rather than before so that my sweat doesn't irritate my skin. 3. I don't use dull, worn razors. I use new, sharp razor blades and discard them before they get blunt. With regards to my electric shaver, I clean the blades regularly to keep them free of shavings. 4. I wet my skin and then lather my skin with a good quality shaving cream or gel and let it sit on my skin for a few minutes before shaving. 5. I use short strokes when shaving rather than using long strokes to avoid pressing down too hard on my skin.

I don't use aftershave following each shave, instead opting for a men's skin moisturizer which I find quite useful especially during the cold winter months.

Even when using my electric shaver, I've sometimes found in the past that I get minor razor burn especially on my neck if my skin is a bit dry. Having said that, I got a new electric shaver with a built-in shaving gel dispenser and it has totally eliminated any skin irritation.

When I start shaving, I simply press the gel dispenser button every so often and it squirts the gel onto my skin and helps to make my shaver glide across my skin easily. I buy replacement gel dispensers every few months when they run out.

If you experience razor burn frequently, you might need to change a few of the things you do before and after you shave.

You might also look to make a change or two with regards to the type of shaving device you use (ie. an electric shaver might help you) or perhaps start using a shaving cream for sensitive skin.

Razor Burn: Avoiding Skin Irritation When Shaving

Temporary and permanent hair removal technology is evolving constantly and is relevant to both men and women who want to remove unwanted hair.

For more information on hair removal options, visit http://www.PermanentHairRemovalTips.com